[HamGateNY] Proposed WWconvers Channel Scheme

Joe Cupano joe at cupano.com
Sat Nov 28 13:41:10 EST 2020

I saw a mention of WW convers in the link but no explanation.
What is the problem you are trying to solve with WWconvers?

Thanks for taking the time to explain

- Joe, NE2Z

Charles J. Hargrove:
> Think of them as the same as IRC (Internet Relay Chat) or the old AOL
> Instant Messenger (AIM).  Rather than based on names, WWconvers is based
> on numbers and is limited to 32768 although the source code might be
> written to include more.  With 0 reserved for a local default and not to
> be relayed to others in the network, we get 32767 remaining.  Here is
> a 1996
> FAQ on TNOS and mentions WWconvers
> https://www.qsl.net/gb7dip/tnos/faq-96.html
>
> On 11/28/2020 12:31 PM, Joe Cupano wrote:
>>
>> I am lost as to the origins of WWconvers and "channelizing."
>> Is there a link?
>>
>> The subject of "channels" has come up as applied to digital modes as a
>> while, voice and data, for UHF. Each has its own bandwidth requirements
>> and utilization.
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> - Joe, NE2Z
>>

>> Charles J. Hargrove:
>>> PROPOSED WWCONVERS CHANNEL SCHEME
>>>
>>> There are 32767 possible channels in the WWconvers with channel 0
>>> reserved
>>> for a local bbs to use as it's default when users log onto their
>>> system.
>>> Finding other stations by area, interest or any other special use
>>> can get a
>>> little confusing.  Some countries have settled on a scheme where
>>> their users
>>> can find each other based on the second number of their assigned
>>> 44Net (AMPR)
>>> address.  For example, Greece is assigned 44.154.0.0/16 and they can
>>> be found
>>> on channel 154.
>>>
>>> In the USA (because of sheer numbers of systems over the years) the
>>> second
>>> number in the address is typically an entire state with some having
>>> multiple
>>> subnets (California has 6).  There has been an effort in recent
>>> years to clean
>>> up the numbers and subnets no longer in use and this resulted in the
>>> range
>>> from 44.191.0.0/16 to 44.255.0.0/16 to be sold to Amazon.
>>>
>>> To make things easier, I am proposing a somewhat logical layout to the
>>> channel usage, not only by the 44Net addresses but also by specilized
>>> uses for activities and watering holes like HF/VHF/UHF frequencies.
>>> As you can see, there will be plenty of space for adhoc arrangements.
>>> Discussions are welcomed and encouraged as how to use this space for
>>> the
>>> benefit of many different groups and interests.
>>>
>>> DEFAULT
>>> Channel 0 – default local use and not propagated across the
>>> WWconvers system.
>>>
>>> REGIONAL
>>> Channel 1 through 190 – based on second number in the 44Net/AMPR
>>> addresses
>>>
>>> MATCHING TO RF FREQUENCY USED
>>> (ie: net on 7240 kHz would use channel 7240)
>>> 1800-1999    160m Channels
>>> 3500-3999     80m Channels
>>> 7000-7299     40m Channels
>>> 10100-10149   30m Channels
>>> 14000-14349   20m Channels
>>> 18068-18167   17m Channels
>>> 21000-21449   20m Channels
>>> 24890-24989   12m Channels
>>> 28000-29699   10m Channels
>>> 5000-5399      6m Channels
>>> 14400-14799    2m Channels
>>> 22200-22499 1.25m Channels
>>> 4200-4499    70cm Channels
>>> 9020-9279    33cm Channels
>>> 12400-12999  23cm Channels
>>>
>>> CURRENT SPECIALTY USERS
>>> 625 – UHF Amateur TV Channel in UK
>>> 10177 – OK2KOJ Club Channel in Czech Republic
>>> 14736 – WC2OEM Channel for NYC Amateur Radio Emergency
>>> Communications Service
>>>
>>> SET AS LOCAL BBS USE (ie. JNOS Systems, etc)
>>> 211 – Local NCS/ALT Channel for nets
>>> 411 – Local WX Event Channel (Skywarn nets)