[HamGateNY] Welcome to HamGateNY

Rick Critcher racritcher at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 09:12:54 EST 2020

Greetings,
The name here is Rick, KB2LFZ.

My background....
I got my first ham license in 1979 ( I think ), after moving to
this area from Western NY I got rather involved in my job and well,
kind of forgot to renew my ticket! Yeah, I had to start all over!

I joined the Saratoga RACES club, after becoming reincarnated as KB2LFZ,
(am currently a member of the Warren County club W2WCR)
I became interested in packet radio, a PK88, a dumb terminal and an
old Genave crystal controlled radio served as our home station. I also
had a Baycom "tnc", a very primitive laptop and a Kenwood HT. I used
that system to do some demonstrations to my kids' elementary school
classes...they were a big hit!

My career took another big bite of my time, and I am just now getting
involved yet again! I think for good this time as I am now semi-retired!

Currently we (my wife is KB2LOM) don't have much in the way of gear,
a mobile 2 meter in the truck and 2 dual band (2m + 440) HTs....oh,
my PK88 is still in the basement someplace!

Recently, with help from AJ2A, I tried to set up a packet
monitor on my Linux Mint laptop using an RTL-SDR...it worked,
but not well enough to really use, We live in a dead spot!

We've put together a mobile AREDN node that I hope to have
backpackable within the next month. There are not many AREDN
nodes in the area, I was thinking if there was a need I could get
ours into an area to fill a gap pretty quickly.

I also dabble in Arduino stuff and Geocaching.

So there ya have it!

I'm really hoping to learn some things from reading
this group's messages!

73 de Rick - KB2LFZ

--
Rick Critcher>>