[HamGateSNE] What is HamGateSNE

Charles J. Hargrove n2nov at n2nov.net
Tue Jan 11 07:16:22 EST 2022

Welcome to your HamGate mailing list for all things RF digital.

There are HamGate mailing lists for various areas of the Northeast
from Maine to Maryland based on activity/allocations:
HamGateNNE (VT, NH, ME)
HamGateMA
HamGateSNE (CT, RI)
HamGateNY
HamGateNJ
HamGatePA
HamGateMDE (MD, DE)

This includes 44Net TCP/IP allocations, packet radio networking, various
BBS flavors (BPQ, FBB, Flex, JNOS, Xnet, Xrouter, UROnode, etc), APRS,
digital voice repeaters, etc. Basically anything that routes a message
from one system or area to another. By keeping the mailing list limited
to a particular area, it allows neighboring sysops the opportunity to
get to know each other and work together. There are plenty of other
mailing lists that are specific to a mode or flavor of software, but
very little can be found that is more local. Our goal is to have every
type of system share links and ideas to effectively move traffic (personal
mail, bulletins, Radiograms, etc) in an organized way that is totally
agnostic to the software and hardware being used. We strive to be forward
looking without leaving anyone behind. We all have different strengths and
weaknesses, but we can all help someone else to join in and participate.
If you have a particular tech background that can help, we need to hear
from you.

A user account was set up for you on this mailing list based on your
having a 44Net allocation now or at one time, a recommendation by a
fellow sysop or you asked to join. This mailing list is public and open
to all. You can unsubscribe at anytime as there will be a monthly reminder
sent to you with your system generated password.

As an introduction, my name is Charles Hargrove (N2NOV) and I have been
involved with packet since the early 90s, set up the N2NOV JNOS BBS in
1997, founded the NY-NBEMS and USeast-NBEMS nets on HF in 2011 for using
FLdigi modes for EmComm and radiogram messaging. I was the EC for Staten
Island (NYC), DEC for NYC from 1999 to late 2003 (included Y2K, 9/11-WTC
and the 2003 Blackout). In late 2003 the active members and leadership
of NYC ARES went independent and formed the NYC Amateur Radio Emergency
Communications Service for EmComm training and public service. I am
deeply involved with Radio Relay International and maintain their website
and traffic net database. I have been the 44Net Coordinator for NY State
since 2014. Last week I was asked to take over 44Net coordination for
the states that N1URO controlled after he suddenly passed away.

I hope that together we can keep things going forward, help those who
want to get involved, reactivate those who fell by the wayside over the
years and build out a resilient RF network that will support any outage
or overload in our various states. State emergency management agencies
are looking for this resilience and many here are looking to do just
that. Let's keep ALL of the lines of communication open between us.

--
Charles J. Hargrove - N2NOV
NYC-ARECS/RACES Citywide Radio Officer/Skywarn Coord.

NYC-ARECS/RACES Nets 441.100/136.5 PL
ARnewsline Broadcast Mon. @ 8:00PM
NYC-ARECS Weekly Net Mon. @ 8:30PM
http://www.nyc-arecs.org

NY-NBEMS Net Saturdays @ 10AM & USeast-NBEMS Net Wednesdays @ 7PM
on 7.036 Mhz USB (alt 3.536)/1500 hz waterfall spot; MFSK-16 or 32

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age. It seeps through the walls
topped
by barbed wire, it wafts across the electrified borders." - Ronald Reagan

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

"Molann an obair an fear" - Irish Saying
(The work praises the man.)

"No matter how big and powerful government gets, and the many services it
provides, it can never take the place of volunteers." - Ronald Reagan