[HamGateSNE] One Month Report

Charles J. Hargrove n2nov at n2nov.net
Wed Feb 9 22:24:10 EST 2022

Good evening everyone on HamGateSNE. Thank you to those who have responded
to my queries and hopefully we all have a clearer picture of what could
be done with your allocation. The video links to the TAPR DCC talks and
the tutorials are only meant as examples and guidelines to the basics of
amateur radio networking through AMPRnet. Only your imagination will
determine how you will use your allocation in the amateur radio arena.
Remember, while we can do some things like SSL encryption on the wired
internet, we have to keep things in the clear on the airwaves. The use
and subject matter on the wired links still need to follow FCC Part 97
"amateur only" rules as well as the ARDC/AMPRnet terms of use.

Over the past eight years I have been the coordinator of the New York State
allocations and organizing by counties right from the start helped to
keep things easy to manage. Upon additionally acquiring the ten states
that were managed by N1URO, I found that many of them were organized
starting at zero and issued incrementally in /29, /28 and /27 blocks
with small spaces between them. This hinders growth if a smaller allocation
needs more space in the future. It also has a scatter-gun approach if
there are those in the same county that want to link to each other. That
is why I first went through the allocations to see which were still
alive and which ones were lanquishing for years on the vine. Now that
90% of them are now cleaned up, it is just a matter of helping them to
set up a public gateway and DNS records so that routing can occur across
from one allocation to the other over the internet using encap IPIP routes.

However, the process of reorganizing your area subnet into counties has
been a somewhat "fun" and challenging exercise of the past few weeks. Each
county will now get additional space to grow and branch out without bumping
into another county. There are also subnet ranges set up solely for any
BGP assignments plus some "spare" ranges that can be pressed into service
for emergencies without bothering the current allocations. Those that will
need to move to another allocation range to match the counties will get a
private email from me with the details on how to proceed so that the
changeover is quick and painless. Some have already done this without
issues.

My plans are to also set up individual webpages for your area with
information,
tutorials and pertinent links about networking, sample configuration files,
various flavors of bbs software, etc. As you let me know how your allocation
is set up with IP addresses and frequencies, we can create a map showing
how things are tied together. If you set up one of your IP numbers that
points to a service that you want others to see, then we can provide that
link as well. Again, you are only limited by what your imagination comes
up with.

As always, use this mailing list to ask questions and share ideas with
others in
your area. "As iron sharpens iron, so does one man sharpen another." -
Proverbs 27:17

--
Charles J. Hargrove - N2NOV
NYC-ARECS/RACES Citywide Radio Officer/Skywarn Coord.

NYC-ARECS/RACES Nets 441.100/136.5 PL
ARnewsline Broadcast Mon. @ 8:00PM
NYC-ARECS Weekly Net Mon. @ 8:30PM
http://www.nyc-arecs.org

NY-NBEMS Net Saturdays @ 10AM & USeast-NBEMS Net Wednesdays @ 7PM
on 7.036 Mhz USB (alt 3.536)/1500 hz waterfall spot; MFSK-16 or 32

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age. It seeps through the walls
topped
by barbed wire, it wafts across the electrified borders." - Ronald Reagan

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

"Molann an obair an fear" - Irish Saying
(The work praises the man.)

"No matter how big and powerful government gets, and the many services it
provides, it can never take the place of volunteers." - Ronald Reagan