[HamGateNY] Proposed WWconvers Channel Scheme

Brian Webster bwebster at stny.rr.com
Mon Nov 30 10:01:51 EST 2020

Let me see if I can throw out a slightly different explanation:

This is a CHAT system that ride on the same connection we use for 44 Net IP, it also runs on the packet networks in place.

Think if it more like group chats on a smart phone. The term channels is really just different group chats not much unlike you having a group chat going on your phone of Facebook messenger. It all runs on the same network, just splits off the conversations to keep things organized.

The WWConverse system lets us network them together to have the potential for large geographically dispersed people participate in these chat conversations. In the old packet days when we had large area RF only networks, you connected to a chat node (really just software) and issued a help command and looked at the command set. User commands are usually on most chat systems using a forward slash and letter for each command such as /? For help or /U to list users on the chat node. The users on the chat node system are connected on the "channel" of their choice. In reality it's just a thread to conversation. In the old AOL messenger days they were called chat rooms. This organizes things so you don't have to see the conversation from say  weather group or just a rag chew session. You could be logged in to something like your local RACES training, or use it like Net Logger for a voice net as an example. Then it was just text based on a packet terminal window. Now we can also use software such as HexChat or Pidgeon to connect from the internet as well as the packet network over RF. This enables all types of devices such as smart phones and tablets in addition to computers.

The thing Charles is suggesting is more of a way to know which "chat room" you would like to join once you connect to the converse system. Since it is just numbers and not a verbose scheme it makes sense to come up with something logical. To date the whole system has kind of been forgotten about. Since it can be internet enabled along with the packet networks, there is no real reason not to start to put it to better use. Those who are building high speed networks such as AREDN can participate, good old fashioned 1200 baud packets system can participate and those on the go using mobile internet systems can also stay in the conversation with their smart phones too. It becomes a good cross platform technology solution that gives us multiple ways to connect. Learning how to connect using multiple various ways also helps train as an emergency communicator and allows us to establish more than one way to stay connected for information exchanges.

When you realize that so many different ways exist to connect, I am surer you can think of the ways you and your local groups or your geographically disperse groups can make use of the technology

Thank you,
Brian Webster N2KGC
Cooperstown, NY 13326