[HamGateNY] Welcome to HamGateNY

Andrew J. McLeod, KB2AJM (ex. KD2PLE) andrew at kb2ajm.us
Sat Nov 28 20:18:32 EST 2020

[A little historical rant for those who are truly bored...]

On Nov 28, 2020, at 11:51 AM, Joe Cupano <joe at cupano.com> wrote:

It was amazing how much infrastructure was unaffected in the rest of NYC.

Well that's my point exactly. In terms of my own (non-EMS, as I was an EMT at the time as well) memory of that day, I mean there are layers upon layers of generations of infrastructure in NYC going back to the 1800s including undersea COPPER cables from that era to Europe that are still functional to this day (we used to have a map of all the cable and satellite routes at the time.) At the time I was working in midtown for a small CLEC international wholesale Telecom company (a provider's provider) and I remember that was also the beginning of the era where:

A) the utility companies starting to use crawler robots to pull new fiber through the sewers, as they had no more conduits or other places to route new cables, and;

B) the beginning of starting to use all the "dark fiber" that the utility companies had but barely used for themselves (power companies like ConEd started trying to get into the voice Telecom business...)

But even so, without all of that, the internet managed to reroute and self-heal enough to go around the damage and keep the internet going where it could, whereas a SONET ring only has two possible routes, only knew the next hop, and was usually in a smaller (block/building) scale than internet connectivity (city scale.) But you knock out an OC192, and that's that. Compare that to the still mostly "circuit switched" framework of the telephone companies at the time... (I don't recall enough about the ATM + Frame Relay or SS7 protocol stacks to say anything about their rerouting and self-healing capabilities, but with all the proprietary routing of the phone companies at the time, they didn't communicate as effectively with their competitors, so their switching equipment didn't always know how or were even unable to reroute on a grander scale...)

I used to work at 40 John Street and got off the A train at WTC every morning - and how much they almost hit. I had just moved to a new job in midtown less than a month before. My cousin and her husband and infant son lived in Battery Park. And I used to go in and out of those already highly secure Telco towers in nonsuspect looking buildings...

To this day I don't know if it was part of the plan or if AlQaeda was just really lucky in terms of how much communications infrastructure that they took out that day. But I remember that map in our office showing almost every undersea cable coming from Europe, the Med and north Africa all coming I to one central point at the tip of Manhattan, and with a few offshoots down to Newark/Hoboken NJ...

That day (and the following weeks) convinced me of the internet's capability.

TCP/IP has a lot of overhead in terms of packet size with regards to RF, I know. But I (personally) have not yet seen anything networking-wise to compare to it's resiliency and massive scalability. (I was also already an early Vonage customer at the time, and while we couldn't call certain places regionally from our landline phone in northern NJ, my BlackBerry and my Vonage phones never went out...) I think that's why it won the protocol wars versus all the less scalable LAN protocols from Novell, MS + Apple. It's just what it was designed for...

I am not that old per se (at least not as old as that guy in the mirror every day...) Some in the industry would consider me a "youngin,'" and even comparatively inexperienced, which is true. But that was a learning experience for a lot of people, and regardless of politics, I think that our country (and most of the world in general) have matured their internet capabilities orders of magnitude based in the lessons of the past. Concepts like FirstNet, GETS/WPS, and other things are great strides forward.

But that's not to say I trust anything enough to put all my eggs in one basket. I live in a rural area (but "in" town and we rent - so my antenna space is limited at the moment,) and I've never liked putting all my eggs in one basket for anything... Similar to military use, I've read some new civilian stuff about the reemergence of HF, and combined with things like ALE and some of these Ham protocols that I don't know enough about yet in detail, I know we have the capability to bridge the gap not if but WHEN that massive internet infrastructure chokes one day (like SQL Slammer did back when) from a solar are, EMP, Gamma burst from a star - whatever...

For those like me who view this as a hobby (not necessarily mutually exclusive of the latter,) we've got a lot of new "toys" (not just hardware, but protocols, etc.) to play with nowadays, and I'm sure we'll discover a lot we can do that the internet cannot...

For those like me who also view this from a [disaster and OEM/ARES/RACES/MARS] service-based perspective, or those afraid that we need to prove our utility now ahead of time to ensure we have a seat at the table when the need comes, I am reminded daily of every short-term thinking bureaucrat, boss and administrator that I've ever worked for in ANY field who refused to plan for the long term, only to have our predictions come true. So even if they don't listen or think they've got better things than "just Hams" right now, I'm sure most of you already know from experience - irregardless of whether we have a seat at the table now, they'll be knocking on our doors (probably because the phones and internet don't work) when the time comes...

I agree with both perspectives:

Optimally, in a perfect world, I think it'd be great if we had a totally RF network capability that didn't rely at all on the internet for any linkages (although somehow some DNS queries do still need to be answered externally.) However;

...the realist in me knows that at this moment, especially in some parts of the state, we don't completely have that capability (or even at all -  for example me in the interim.)

But in terms of an inter-net-worked infrastructure (RF + Inet,) at least I can contribute something to the system, and whether it's primary or redundancy, hopefully it will fill a gap that would otherwise be empty for the time being...

So there's my "once upon a time, old f at r+" story. It's just MY opinion and perspective - I don't expect anyone to agree with it in it's entirety. I'm no master or sage. But for whomever is still awake after reading it, it is why I am the way I am...

[...end rant.../]

73

AJM, KB2AJM

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​