[HamGateNY] Pi-JNOS Nodes

Charles J. Hargrove n2nov at n2nov.net
Tue Mar 19 22:48:14 EDT 2019

The following was sent out to members of NYC-ARECS for our local system.
I know that there are a few across NY State with similar ideas.  Let's
share what we can with each other.

For those who have expressed an interest in building out the NYC-ARECS
BBS network across the five boros using Raspberry Pi computers, this
tutorial from my friend John in Michigan will get you started.

http://ares-mi.org/downloads/Packet/Configure_Personal_JNOS/html/index.html

The particular IP addresses, DNS and routing info will come from me when
you are ready.  Our plan calls for different 2 meter frequencies in each
boro or section of a boro so that we can overlap coverage areas and not
crash into each other.  Contact me directly when setting up your system.
A 25 watt mobile radio with power supply and external vertical base
antenna is what you need to set up to go along with your Pi computer
and TNC (see https://tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm).  Two TNCpi boards and an
additional radio/antenna on UHF will be needed if you will also be
forwarding data over the air to another node instead of using your
internet connection.

--
Charles J. Hargrove - N2NOV
NYC-ARECS/RACES Citywide Radio Officer/Skywarn Coord.

NYC-ARECS/RACES Nets 449.025/123.0 PL
ARnewsline Broadcast Mon. @ 8:00PM
NYC-ARECS Weekly Net Mon. @ 8:30PM
http://www.nyc-arecs.org

NY-NBEMS Net Saturdays @ 10AM & USeast-NBEMS Net Wednesdays @ 7PM
on 7.036 Mhz USB (alt 3.536)/1500 hz waterfall spot; MFSK-16 or 32

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age. It seeps through the walls
topped
by barbed wire, it wafts across the electrified borders." - Ronald Reagan

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

"Molann an obair an fear" - Irish Saying
(The work praises the man.)

"No matter how big and powerful government gets, and the many services it
provides, it can never take the place of volunteers." - Ronald Reagan