[HamGateNJ] KY2D Intro from Morristown

Jim Kutsch KY2D Jim.Kutsch at ky2d.com
Tue Jan 11 16:05:49 EST 2022

It's great to find this list. Thanks to N2NOV for setting it up. Here's my
intro.

I started in Packet in the mid 1980s when I was at Bell Labs in Holmdel. I
was working on the "Unix PC" project and had a breadboard prototype at home.
My friend Paul, AD7I was the hardware designer on the TAPR TNC team so I got
a beta TNC. I put the Unix PC on 2 meter packet and provided email and
"Netnews" (Usenet) access to early packet users in NNJ/NYC. On the back end,
the system was connected to CO-LAN, an experimental Labs collaboration with
NJ Bell to provide hard wired 19.2K LAN service too home over the phone
line. All that stopped in the late 1980s when work took me to Florida for 15
years of no ham radio then I returned to NJ (Morristown) in 2005.

I now run an HF BPQ32 system that serves as the Radio Relay International
(RRI) Eastern Area Hub for the Digital Traffic Network (DTN). It runs the
BPQ32 software on Windows and provides HF connectivity through Pactor or
VARA. I have a second BPQ32 system, KY2D-4,  on a Raspberry Pi on 145.050
packet that serves as the RRI NJ DTN hub. That system can be accessed by
digipeting through W2LI-2. The RRI philosophy for radiogram traffic is to
stay with RF links except for occasional routing through manual intervention
in special cases. I have FIOS connected for that linking.

Somewhat related, I have an Allstar simplex node on another RPi with very
limited RF range (a few blocks) plus an Asterisk PBX on another Pi. I do not
have a 44 AMPRnet address range but have given it some thought. I flashed
the mesh software into an old Linksys router several years ago but couldn't
reach anything at the time.

As for goals, I'd like to better integrate the RRI Digital Traffic Network
access into the NJ packet network so other digital traffic handlers could
reach the Eastern Area Hub. As more of a personal learning item, I'd like to
better understand the advantages of using an AMPRnet address and would like
to experiment with one.

73 Jim KY2D

973.723.3415 or HamShack Hotline 4231.