[HamGateNY] Packet Radio over HF...

Andrew J. McLeod, KB2AJM (ex. KD2PLE) andrew at kb2ajm.us
Mon Nov 30 16:08:09 EST 2020

Jeff,

I apologize - it's hard to trim and quote properly from a mobile device and every group has its own etiquette to comply with, published or not...

I have also changed the title of this thread, as per your recommendation.

The question is relevant because we are talking about long distance packet radio on bands including lower HF (of which Winlink is a successful example of, to the point of a major Red Cross drill not a week or two ago because the Red Cross has switched almost exclusively to Winlink,) and in terms of 44net "backbone" radio nodes, we are talking about 24x7 connections that are unmanned and unattended at most times.

Both are packet radio techniques, both can operate at a broad range of frequencies, and both have sending and receiving RF stations that are unmanned most of the time...

So I am just trying to understand the difference if one (ex. 44net backbone links) are legal and the other is not, what is the difference?

Brian already gave an answer regarding the higher bands. I am simply trying to understand what is permitted lower, and if there is a difference, why?

Regards,
Andrew J. McLeod, KB2AJM (formerly KD2PLE)
MLT/MT(ASCP,) EMT-B(ret.,) InfoSec, etc.
Sullivan County, NY ARES/RACES Member + Webmaster
andrew at highland-it.com
andrew at kb2ajm.us
kb2ajm at scnyares.org
kb2ajm at winlink.org
> Skype = andrew.j.mcleod
x4300 = Hamshack Hotline - Base
x4301 = Hamshack Hotline - Ops
x4931 = Hamshack Hotline - Softphone
x14312 = Hamshack Hotline - HHX (Experimental)

https://www.kb2ajm.us
https://www.highland-it.com
https://www.highlandhostingsolutions.com
COMING BACK: http://tech.realmcleod.net
COMING SOON: http://packetradio.network
COMING SOON: http://packetradio.tools
COMING SOON: http://arduinopiham.net

Tinker of Antennas, APRS, AMPRnet, Winlink,
Mobile/Portable Equipment, Cisco VoIP,
Arduinos + RPis (of all sizes,) Sensors, IoT,
and many other geeky things.

"Stealing is illegal - the government hates competition"