[HamGateNY] Introduction

Brian Webster bwebster at stny.rr.com
Fri Nov 20 00:09:22 EST 2020

Sorry for the late introduction. Charles and I were troubleshooting email
account problems for me.

N2KGC - licensed with the same call since 1990.

Active in packet the whole time.

Located in Milford half way between Oneonta and Cooperstown Otsego County
RACES officer, Catskills District DEC for the ARRL Sysop for node NC2C-1 in
Cherry Valley (Flex DOS), W2RGI-2 (URONode) in Oneonta and N2KGC-1 gateway
(URONode) at my home I have been working in the commercial wireless industry
for 30 years as well. The last 18 with my own RF consulting company.

Also very proficient in mapping and GIS systems which is a big part of my
consulting as well.

Not very good at command line Linux and/or routing and those file syntax's
(but learning more each day) Able to conduct RF path studies with my
engineering software as we discuss RF only links on the networks.

Active with Rusty KE2PW in the quest to rebuild the NY RF packet network
statewide.

Not against internet linking of parts of the network but also want to see RF
links as backups.

I am ready to bring the packet systems in to the modern ham radio age,
helping to develop, train and support the use of them. Creating better
documentation and explanations. Out club has a large group of newer hams
that never did the old packet networks in a simple terminal window. Anything
that we can do to make better software interfaces with nice GUI's and able
to use them on devices as well as regular computers I support. I am big in
to Emergency management and really want to get a good statewide training
program together, maybe starting with using the BBS systems and Outpost
software. That does not require that we all agree upon a nodes operating
systems and/or software. It just requires that we get all the BBS's across
the state talking to each other with timely forwarding of messages and agree
upon some message group name standards.

Linking nodes and chat systems to central converse servers would be great
and since we can also internet enable those, that may encourage more to
participate since their mobile devices work on these systems. Not everyone
is going to be able to sit in front of their computer and participate.

I want to map all of the current packet systems in the state. I have all of
the information on the former EastNet stations but am lacking any BPQ,
BBS's, WinLink, and JNOS systems.  These are the most recent maps I have of
NY and even some of those nodes have gone dark for various reasons. Feel
free to send me notes with your coordinates, frequencies, services etc. and
I will start updating the maps.

Thank you,

Brian Webster N2KGC

www.wirelessmapping.com