[HamGateNY] My Introduction

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Wed Nov 11 18:55:30 EST 2020

N2KGC - licensed with the same call since 1990.
Active in packet the whole time.
Located in Milford half way between Oneonta and Cooperstown
Otsego County RACES officer, Catskills District DEC for the ARRL
Sysop for node NC2C-1 in Cherry Valley (Flex DOS), W2RGI-2 (URONode) in Oneonta and N2KGC-1 gateway (URONode) at my home
I have been working in the commercial wireless industry for 30 years as well. The last 18 with my own RF consulting company.
Also very proficient in mapping and GIS systems which is a big part of my consulting as well.
Not very good at command line Linux and/or routing and those file syntax's (but learning more each day)
Able to conduct RF path studies with my engineering software as we discuss RF only links on the networks.
Active with Rusty KE2PW in the quest to rebuild the NY RF packet network statewide.
Not against internet linking of parts of the network but also want to see RF links as backups.

I am ready to bring the packet systems in to the modern ham radio age, helping to develop, train and support the use of them. Creating better documentation and explanations. Out club has a large group of newer hams that never did the old packet networks in a simple terminal window. Anything that we can do to make better software interfaces with nice GUI's and able to use them on devices as well as regular computers I support. I am big in to Emergency management and really want to get a good statewide training program together, maybe starting with using the BBS systems and Outpost software. That does not require that we all agree upon a nodes operating systems and/or software. It just requires that we get all the BBS's across the state talking to each other with timely forwarding of messages and agree upon some message group name standards.

Linking nodes and chat systems to central converse servers would be great and since we can also internet enable those, that may encourage more to participate since their mobile devices work on these systems. Not everyone is going to be able to sit in front of their computer and participate.

I want to map all of the current packet systems in the state. I have all of the information on the former EastNet stations but am lacking any BPQ, BBS's, WinLink, and JNOS systems.  These are the most recent maps I have of NY and even some of those nodes have gone dark for various reasons. Feel free to send me notes with your coordinates, frequencies, services etc and I will start updating the maps.

Thank you,
Brian Webster N2KGC
www.wirelessmapping.com