[HamGateNY] Welcome to HamGateNY

Andrew J. McLeod, KB2AJM (ex. KD2PLE) andrew at kb2ajm.us
Mon Nov 9 21:05:32 EST 2020

Greetings All,

I am an all-around nerd who literally works in a hospital Laboratory as a Tech (yes, COVID + all) with a background also in Telecom + I.T. and still do web hosting as (what was) a side business. Although work, family and partial disability leave me little time to tinker as much as I would like to, besides reading my hands-on interests include Ham (Analog + Packet) including APRS, RPis, Arduino, IoT, VoIP, Cisco, and any combinations of it all. My house is wired to my wife's miscontent (between Alexa + Samsung you can turn on/off about half our house and know every room's temperature remotely,) and I've got literally 1 full height + 1 1/2 height 19" racks full of Cisco, Ubiquiti, RPis, NAS, Ham and other goods.

That's besides a few other things besides all that, but that's the electronics hobby/interest list, and FAMILY comes before everything else (on the other hand it was my wife and pre-teen kids that helped me erect my current 6 antenna 35+ foot mast I'm the backyard...)

I am a founding member of our local (Sullivan County, NY) ARES group, which has been focusing on APRS digi coverage around our region, and the County OEMS is in the process of "giving" us a repeater of our own. We also have "Winlink Thursday" nights, but I have been at work for most of them (and asleep for the rest...) I have my GMRS license as well (although I rarely use it since becoming a Ham,) as well as a private license under my business entity for some non-Ham itinerant frequency use...

I was affiliated with MARS for a time but just wasn't for me, but I do have my SignaLink + FTDX-1200 and some basic experience with HF packet, but want to learn more and get my AMPRnet node(s) online that I've had planned for almost a year, have all the equipment for and started tinkering with, but I haven't had the time to put it all together and make it whole (I promise very soon, Charles, that I'll be calling you for configuration help !!)

So in short (no such thing as a short story with me,) I reiterate I am am overall, all-around nerd.

I can be reached at this (my Ham) email address, but I don't monitor it as closely as my primary address @highland-it.com, below.

Interested in making contacts/connections (both verbally and electronically,) learning from others and perhaps getting prodded in the keester a bit by others to help me get things rolling in my part.

Anything I can share, help with, etc. please never be afraid to contact me.

Be well, be safe, and let's have some fun !!!

73,

Andrew J. McLeod,
KB2AJM (formerly KD2PLE)
WRAN632 = GMRS