[HamGateNY] Current NY State DNS Entries

Brian n1uro at n1uro.ampr.org
Mon Jan 30 15:14:07 EST 2017

Hello Corey;

On Mon, 2017-01-30 at 14:53 -0500, Corey Reichle wrote:
> Why would you use OpenVPN (Or, any other tunneling) over RF links?
> That would be silly.  Routing of IP packets is handled by the AX25
> stack (Or other link layer protocol in use, which could be 802.11).
> No IPEncap required for that.  Just routes.

You're absolutely correct but there are guys using OpenVPN servers who
are using push to force that issue. Not good.

> We're discussing tunneling of IP traffic over an IP network that is
> wired, that's all.

One needs not to be licensed to be a glorified ISP.

> OLSR is also a dynamic, self-healing routing protocol, that is heads
> and shoulders above RIP protocols, as it is also a self-discovering of
> neighbors and routes.  See Broadband Hamnet's work with that.  It is
> also usable over wired networks.
>
> OpenVPN tunnels are used to bridge two networks together.  Hardware
> behind that provides the routing to other networks, and with OSLR,
> having mutliple possible routes is possible, with routing loops
> prevented due to it's design.

So since the hardware device would *still* require ipencap to speak to
the rest of 44/8 and the global internet, why would you wish to
introduce not one but 2 potential points of failure?

Case in point, ALL if Ireland now is forced to use an OpenVPN system.
It is now quite isolated and unreachable. There was a perfectly working
system with an HF gateway using ipencap to ARDC which is now DOA. Once
that additional point of failure was brought in, the "wire" failed just
as it would in an emergency.

Also when you think about it, since vpns use a form of ipencap, and the
method used by ARDC is designed **specifically for amateur usage** and
it does indeed work, why reinvent the wheel?

--
I don't have to worry about body fitness in 2017. All I do is
show my body to itself in the mirror and it throws plenty of
fits.
--------
73 de Brian - N1URO
email: (see above)
Web: http://www.n1uro.net/
Ampr1: http://n1uro.ampr.org/
Ampr2: http://nos.n1uro.ampr.org
Linux Amateur Radio Services
axMail-Fax & URONode
http://uronode.sourceforge.net
http://axmail.sourceforge.net
AmprNet coordinator for:
Connecticut, Delaware, Maine,
Maryland, Massachusetts,
New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania,
Rhode Island, and Vermont.