[HamGateNY] Mystic BBS on packet

Brian n1uro at n1uro.ampr.org
Tue Jan 3 09:58:57 EST 2017

Hello Corey;

On Tue, 2017-01-03 at 08:14 -0500, Corey Reichle wrote:
> Ok, so not meaning to be contrary, but this is the primary reason I've
> not delved further into this process.

I think you're missing out on the purpose of this.

> Why are we using a custom rip protocol?  What is the benefit?  Is
> there any forward momentum to get this added to the debian repos, or a
> debian/centos/etc repo that this can be installed from?

It's not as big of a deal as you may think. I'll explain it in more
detail below.

> This seems like a whole lot of complexity, for what otherwise is a 90
> second config edit for something like network-manager, which is
> present in just about every Linux distro out there.

> Instead of IPIP tunnels, why not just a b2b IPSEC tunnel?
>
> I mean, honestly, I do this sort of stuff by trade, on a daily basis,
> and for a smallish network, looking to expand, this seems overly
> complex, and not particularly maintainable.

I'm a network engineer by trade as well and it's perfectly clear what's
going on. AmprNet has always used protocol 4 (ipencap) as it's main
routing protocol. Years ago this wasn't much of an ordeal however with
SAFE (Source Address FiltEring) by ISPs and no native means to
auto-update routing for the many who are using dynamic IPs, one of the
newer systems in place is a custom RIP routing system which handshakes
with the amprnet portal.

The munge script system still works but it's slow. A user on a dynamic
IP may have their IP changed by their ISP and one would now know how to
route to it until the next munge cycle. Now a dynamic hosted point can
enter their gateway info in as a dyndns host and before RIP is sent, the
portal verifies the IP to that dyndns host and adds it to the rip
broadcast... so it's up to date.

RIP is then sent from UCSD out via protocol 4 to all the endpoints so
that those on dynamic IPs can maintain their routing to the rest of the
network. If the commercial IP changes, you need something to keep up
with that and the amprnet portal does this for us all, and updates the
encap file with the proper information which the RIP server at UCSD
uses.

It's more about automating route info for dynamic hosts than it is the
network protocol used... and since protocol 4 is the protocol of choice
by UCSD, that's what's used to transmit the RIP. One could use ipsec or
even OpenVPN but still the routing information would be lagged through
the munge system unless they're using another host as a default route.

I hope this clarifies a few things for you.

--
I don't have to worry about body fitness in 2017. All I do is
show my body to itself in the mirror and it throws plenty of
fits.
--------
73 de Brian - N1URO
email: (see above)
Web: http://www.n1uro.net/
Ampr1: http://n1uro.ampr.org/
Ampr2: http://nos.n1uro.ampr.org
Linux Amateur Radio Services
axMail-Fax & URONode
http://uronode.sourceforge.net
http://axmail.sourceforge.net
AmprNet coordinator for:
Connecticut, Delaware, Maine,
Maryland, Massachusetts,
New Hampshire, New Jersey, Pennsylvania,
Rhode Island, and Vermont.