[HamGateNY] Welcome NY State 44Net Sysops

Charles Hargrove n2nov at n2nov.net
Wed Dec 21 10:14:14 EST 2016

With so many systems not within RF range of each other, the initial transfer
of messages would be via IP Encap over the internet.  The ability of a
particular system to provide incoming/outgoing messaging service will be a
selling point to users.  I liken it to when there were individual dial-up
systems around me in the 1980's that required me to check them all each
evening looking for messages.  Once the FidoNet system came on board, I could
log onto my local system and route a message to another system.  The FidoNet
systems had scheduled times to swap messages for storage or further routing
to another BBS.

Today, we find our packet BBS nodes as little islands that need to reach out
to each other.  The ability to use AX25 or TCP/IP can be used on RF as well
as the internet.  If all we have available is the internet, then why not
perfect our routing techniques there so that we can duplicate it on RF when
the opportunity arises.  Ultimately, we would want to have everything working
on RF so that we can still function when our connection to the internet goes
down locally or regionally.

BTW, I would like to compare notes on your Mystic BBS with JNOS and other
systems.  Let's see where we can already interface and what features we can
all borrow from each other.

--
Charles J. Hargrove - N2NOV
NYC ARECS/RACES Citywide Radio Officer/Skywarn Coord.

NYC-ARECS/RACES Net Mon. @ 8:30PM 449.025/123.0 PL
http://www.nyc-arecs.org and http://www.nyc-skywarn.org

NY-NBEMS Net Saturdays @ 10AM & USeast-NBEMS Net Wednesdays @ 7PM
on 7.036 Mhz USB/1500 hz waterfall spot; Olivia 8/500 check-ins

"Information is the oxygen of the modern age. It seeps through the walls topped
by barbed wire, it wafts across the electrified borders." - Ronald Reagan

"The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates." - Tacitus

"Molann an obair an fear" - Irish Saying
(The work praises the man.)

"No matter how big and powerful government gets, and the many services it
provides, it can never take the place of volunteers." - Ronald Reagan

"We are fast approaching the stage of ultimate inversion: the stage where
the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may
act only by permission." - Ayn Rand