[HamGateNJ] K2IE Net 44 - My Intro

Daniel L. Srebnick dan at islenet.com
Tue Jan 11 11:00:22 EST 2022

Thanks to N2NOV for setting up this list and for stepping in to fill the
coordinator role for our region.

I thought I'd talk a bit about how I'm using my Net 44 allocations to
support hobby activities.  My use case is different from the more
traditional packet/AX.25 use cases that some of you have implemented.  For
several years, along with KB2EAR and others, we've built a digital
multiprotocol voice network for radio amateurs.  Some of the infrastructure
is hosted on the FIOS fiber network and some is at internet cloud providers.
Net 44 has made it possible to create a virtual network that supports the
reflectors, transcoders, and other services.  We have fulltime repeaters
using D-Star, DMR, Fusion and P25 and can also be reached via the
Brandmeister and TGIF networks.

At the core of the system is the XLX020 reflector, available at 44.64.12.57
as well as xlx020.k2ie.net on the internet.  If anyone wants to use a Net 44
based digital voice system (that is also reachable via the internet) to run
a net to support tech or public service matters please let me know.  We have
the capacity.  Typically you'll see traffic on Module A (Mid Atlantic) or
Module D (Central NJ).

If anyone needs a PPS stratum 1 time source feel free to use ntp @
44.64.12.36.

We use Net 44 to feed situational awareness data to the DAPNET servers.
This is in turn fed to amateur POCSAG pagers through the USA, providing near
realtime NWS warnings and alerts.  See http://hampager.de.

What else am I forgetting?  I'll probably remember just after I hit send.

It would be good to hear from others in the area to learn what you're doing.

73

Dan K2IE