[HamGateNJ] Tunnel setup on Ubiquiti Edgerouter-x

Jim Kutsch KY2D Jim.Kutsch at ky2d.com
Sun Feb 6 17:08:12 EST 2022

I have a 44 net allocation and am working on gateway setup. I am looking for
help with  Some questions:

1.Is anyone using the EdgeRouter-4 for the tunnel(s)? I have Verizon FIOS
but do not have any Verizon router. FIOS is directly connected to my
EdgeRouter

2. Do I need both the tunnel to the UCB server as described in
https://wiki.ampr.org/wiki/Setting_up_a_gateway_on_Ubiquiti_EdgeRouter and
the tunnel and AMPRripd as described in
https://wiki.ampr.org/wiki/Installing_ampr-ripd_on_a_Ubiquiti_EdgeRouter_or_
EdgeRouter_X?

3. Is there any more recent info about getting around the limitations from
not having a static IP from Verizon for the EdgeRouter tunnel and firewall?
I'd rather do everything in the EdgeRouter but if necessary, I could set up
a Edgerouter DMZ and connect an old WRT54 for the 44 net.

4. Why do these articles talk about setting up a DHCP server inside the home
44 subnet? Since All I have is the static block in my allocation, why the
DHCP?

TNX 73 Jim KY2D

973.723.3415

Or Hamshack Hotline 4231