[HamGateMDE] Looking For Station KD4IZ

John Spitznagel flyingfrawg at icloud.com
Wed Feb 2 15:18:46 EST 2022

Charles,

I have tried to reply a number of times. It appears that your server is rejecting my normal emails. I am using my (seldom used) iCloud.com account to reach you.

Please let me know if you receive this reply. Please see my previous email to you below.

Jack Spitznagel – KD4IZ
Associate Editor – AMSAT News Service
Cell: (410) 207-5123
kd4iz at arrl.net

Thanks for pulling the doorbell to find out if I am home. My background is on QRZ... but is missing some salient points re: 44 net. I ran an ampr server (and gateway) while I was a grad student in Texas in the late 80's and early 90's, later helped Walt Corey (now KZ1F) with porting and testing NOS for OS/2 and  PMNOS. Moved to Memphis and became the W. TN. Ampr.net coordinator and ran a server/gateway there. Surrendered all that when a job opportunity brought me to Maryland in 1997. Unfortunately my then employer was reluctant to give me the access I needed. I was granted this address block around that time. But when I asked the (Maryland) area address admin of the time for assistance in locating a server I could gateway through, I received no answer. I sensed from others (here in MD) that he had no real interest beyond maintaining his own network. Frankly, I had almost given up on using Ampr.net, but held on to the block just in case I found someone willing to help me locate a good path to a gateway that would not cost me an arm and leg.

I have been hoping that the re-organization after the loss of Brian at UCSD and of  Richard, N1URO would result in the opening of some communication pathways so I can get back into the game. I have a small cluster of RPi boxen here that are currently linked together on my local network here in the backwoods of MD, but I have not used the 44. Addresses for any of that. I found that punching holes with port forwarding through the Xfinity firewall has come at the price of continual nagging that I have created a security problem. Even though I briefly experimented with the VULTR system, I have yet to find a satisfactory way to tunnel to a cloud server so I could enable a local group of D-Rats users and my own RF gateway. I would love to get help updating my own knowledge base, getting my little cluster linked using the 44 net system, and to get my packet RF gateway back on the air with a 44. Address. That may be overkill for what I want to do.

Could you please link me to some resources and/or someone that might be willing to help "elmer" me back to competence? It has been quite a while.

73,

-Jack KD4IZ